Friday, January 28, 2011

Baby Food Friday: Avocados

Yes! Avocados! It has become a good "first" food for babies. Avocados are super easy to prepare as well!

When selecting an Avocado, you want a dark green color with bumpy texture. The fruit should be firm yet yielding when gently pushed.

When an avocado is sliced in half, the flesh color should be a green that gently transforms into a buttery yellow around the pit.

I have not found Avocados to freeze well once pureed, so I freeze them in slices.

Avocados - NO NEED TO COOK

  • Cut Avocado in half, remove pit.
  • I cut the halves in half again (so I have four pieces total)
  • Remove the peel (no need to use a spoon unless you want to)
  • Place on a baking sheet and into the freezer.
  • Once frozen, place into a freezer bag.
  • When you need to use one, pull out of the bag, heat up (I start with 30 seconds) and mash up.
Cost: $.45/avocado
Amount: 4 slices

When she was younger, I used 1 slice, now I use 2. So I'm paying $.22 for a meal!

Savings:
Not comparable (doesn't come in a jar)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear your thoughts!...

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker