When selecting an Avocado, you want a dark green color with bumpy texture. The fruit should be firm yet yielding when gently pushed.
When an avocado is sliced in half, the flesh color should be a green that gently transforms into a buttery yellow around the pit.
I have not found Avocados to freeze well once pureed, so I freeze them in slices.
- Cut Avocado in half, remove pit.
- I cut the halves in half again (so I have four pieces total)
- Remove the peel (no need to use a spoon unless you want to)
- Place on a baking sheet and into the freezer.
- Once frozen, place into a freezer bag.
- When you need to use one, pull out of the bag, heat up (I start with 30 seconds) and mash up.
Amount: 4 slices
When she was younger, I used 1 slice, now I use 2. So I'm paying $.22 for a meal!
Savings: Not comparable (doesn't come in a jar)