Friday, January 21, 2011

Baby Food Friday: Sweet Potatoes

Sweet Potatoes were Rilyn's first food and it has become my favorite and one of the easiest foods to prepare!

Sweet Potato Puree (I use two - four large sweet potatoes which lasts me 2-4 weeks depending upon how thin my puree is)
I know other people prepare it differently but I have found this to be the EASIEST because the peel comes right off!

  • Wash sweet potatoes.
  • Use a fork to poke holes all over the sweet potato.
  • Run the potato under water again and IMMEDIATELY cover with foil.
  • Put in a 425 degree preheated oven.
  • I leave it in for 45-60 minutes.
  • Pull it out when you can squeeze it and its mushy.
  • The peel will come right off!
  • Put chunks into a blender.  Add however much liquid you need (I start with 1/2 cup water) to get the consistency you desire. 
  • OR I don't even use the blender anymore now that Rilyn is eating more "real" food.  It just takes longer to freeze.
My Cost: $.98/potato = $2.94
Amount: 48 oz
Baby Food Cost: $.98 / 4oz jar
Savings: $8.82!

2 comments:

  1. This is great! Just found your blog and know zilch about baby food. How long will it keep in the freezer?

    Much love,
    Future Mama
    http://expectingablessing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read no more than 3 months. I've never made enough to last more than a month. Now several bags lasts about two weeks since my daughter is eating three meals a day. It's very easy to make your own. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear your thoughts!...

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker