Friday, July 6, 2007

Love...twisted or doable?

My dad has a blog going and his latest entry really challenged me so I thought I'd put it up on my blog...

Love...twisted or doable?

As I have looked back over my years, I have realized how twisted my perspective of love was, how far I have come and how far I must go to live in a mature love. When we begin our journey loving, our self focus leads us to make decisions more concerned about loving others so that my needs are met over loving because that is the right thing to do.

Jesus Christ was direct in saying to us to love God, to love others and to love ourselves. In the letters of 1st John, we are taught that love comes from God; it is planted in us so that we would give it away to others. So what is love? I have grown to define love as the God created fuel that is poured into us and runs through our soul, heart, mind and bodies that is purposed to be poured out into others. If we look at our lives, our lack of understanding about love, leads us to love from our hearts, our minds or our bodies, mainly from the perspective of how is this meeting my needs, or what is in it for me? Jesus teaches us and shows us that we can love completely and the journey in life leads us to a healthy and full love. How do we grow our love?

First of all, we accept that love is from God, is the God created fuel that is poured into us and runs through our soul, heart, mind and bodies that is purposed to be poured out into others. Healthy love is not from us, but is from God.
Secondly, as we accept the truth of love, we will experience God’s love pouring into our beings and pouring out.

Last of all, we must live it. Love was never poured into us to be hoarded. It is expected to be poured out. If you hold on to it, it will die. If you pour it out, it will live, refill and live…and on and on. Ephesians 3:14 teaches us that we are given all of God’s strength and resources to love others as we are loved, and to love ourselves as we are loved.

Friends, how would you describe your love? How would those around you describe it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear your thoughts!...

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker