Friday, January 19, 2007

Crashing into a life lesson

This morning started as every morning starts...Matt and I said "Goodbye" and he told me to be careful as I drove the 40 minutes to work. You would think I would have been more careful because of what he said, but it just didn't register. The car in front of me blended in with the glare of the sun on the snow. The red brake lights came on too quickly for me to stop in a timely manner. When I did press on the brakes, I started sliding faster into the car in front of me because of black ice. What could I do? Where could I go? The only way I could avoid a collision was to veer off to the right and drive into someone's snow filled yard.

Just as I was doing that I realized that if I stopped then I would be completely stuck in the middle of this person's yard because of all the snow....so I just kept driving...right by three cars...in the middle of this person's yard....and I just kept going until I got back onto the street...and still I kept going. A few streets later I pulled over and just let the tears of fear run down my face. Never have I been more afraid in my life.

I dialed my husband just to hear his voice...to reassure me that I was ok and alive. The phone rang and rang and rang...

30 minutes, 10 miles and 24 attempts later, I was steaming mad! What if I had actually gotten stuck and I needed Matt? What if I had been in a horrible accident and someone tried calling him? Oh boy, was he going to get it when I finally got ahold of him. I was thinking of every way I could 'punish' him and make him feel the way I had felt all morning.

My cd then switched to the next song. Shane and Shane began singing these sweet words that soon rushed through my senses:

When peace, like a river,
attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot,
Thou hast taught me to say,
“It is well, it is well with my soul”

Chorus: It is well (it is well)
with my soul (with my soul)
It is well, it is well with my soul

It is well...with my soul. As I listened to the words of this beautiful song, I could feel the anger seep out of me. I had used up so much energy thinking of ways to be mad at Matt, I was left tired and defeated. God has given me an incredible husband who, on any other day, would have come to my rescue in an instant. But the one moment he was unable, I reacted in anger.

It is well with my soul. Powerful words. These are words I need to remember on a daily basis.

It is well with my soul.

2 comments:

  1. So where was the punk? Just joking!!! I am glad you are ok! That is sooooo scary!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha...his phone was turned off. We went back the next day and I can't believe I didn't crash my car! I missed the guard rail by inches!!

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear your thoughts!...

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker