Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Crazy Love - Send Me!

On Sunday, our church kicked off a 5-week "Crazy Love" series. We're all reading the book "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan and then the sermons and our Growth Groups are all digging deeper into the study.

In my reading last night, Isaiah 6 was referenced as Francis was talking about how huge God is and how we should respond to him. I pulled out my Bible and started reading through this chapter and was really challenged!

1 In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord seated on a throne, high and exalted, and the train of his robe filled the temple. 2 Above him were seraphs, each with six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying.3 And they were calling to one another:
"Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory."

4 At the sound of their voices the doorposts and thresholds shook and the temple was filled with smoke.

5 "Woe to me!" I cried. "I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the LORD Almighty."

6 Then one of the seraphs flew to me with a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with tongs from the altar. 7 With it he touched my mouth and said, "See, this has touched your lips; your guilt is taken away and your sin atoned for."

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"

9 He said, "Go and tell this people..."

Here are a few things I noticed:
  • Isaiah saw God sitting on his throne -- how awesome would that be!
  • He realized he was not worthy and was humbled by the experience.
The coolest thing I noticed was that because of his humbling encounter with the throne of God, when God said "I need someone to send, who shall I send?" Isaiah immediately said, "Send me!" He didn't even know what God was needing him to do, but just because of what he saw in God, he had a desire to be used by God.

Often, I think we wait to see if something fits with our "giftings" before we decide whether to serve God. This has its place, but I think we are supposed to be more like Isaiah.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear your thoughts!...

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker